2017 has been over for a while now. It was such a crazy year. It hasn’t been the best year for me, but it certainly hasn’t been the worst ever. I am alive and happy!
I did this last year and I really enjoyed it. I want to take a few moments and share a few of my favorite things from this past year.
- Game of the Year- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. You will easily get lost asking what is over that next hill? What is that on the Horizon? Is that another Shrine on that Island? What an adventurous game! It feels like Zelda and sucks you in like Minecraft. What a world! (Runner-up: Ghost Recon: Wildlands)
- Book of the Year- Immeasurable by Skye Jethani. An honest look at the current state of the Modern Christian Church. It reflects on ambition, anger, community, consumerism, fame, health, justice, platform, preaching, rest, simplicity, success, vision, and more. Skye examines these issues with honest and thoughtful insight from experience. This is a great barometer for where we are at in our faith. (Runner-Up: The Trellis and The Vine by Colin Marshal and Tony Payne)
- Movie of the Year- Baby Driver. Fast cars, great music, and interesting characters. This is a fun movie. The way the music and action intertwine is remarkable. This is an incredibly stylish and fun action movie! (Runner-Up: Thor Ragnarok)
- Show of the Year- Better Call Saul. The performances from the cast just keep getting better and better. This season you really start to see things take that darker turn you knew was coming. The center of it all is the drama of the tumultuous relationship between Jimmy and his brother Chuck. So good! (Runner Up: Mindhunter)
- Gadget of the Year- Nintendo Switch. I had been gaming less and less as I grew older. Then I got a switch! A console that goes with you where ever you are? Yeah. That is amazing. I spent a lot of time in line waiting to pick up my kids playing Stardew Valley. It is awesome! (Runner Up: Google Pixel 2)
- Podcast of the Year- Doctrine and Devotion. I learn and laugh during this show. Joe Thorn and Jimmy are incredibly fun together. It is great for Theology Nerds, and those who would just like to learn more about the faith. It comes from a Reformed perspective. Even if that isn’t your thing, it is a good show. (Runner Up: The Movie Proposal)
- Marriage Moment of the Year- I can’t really explain it, but December seemed to be a turning point for us. We had a rough year and it just seemed like we both woke up and finished strong. We had more time together over the Holidays than we had anticipated which really helped us just be together more. I am blessed to be with Shelly!
- Parenting Moment of the Year- I got my 8 year old his first knife. We went to get a steak, watch Thor, and then went to go grab it. We just had a good moment of bonding and interacting. He loves it and is careful with it. I made sure it was easy for him to close/open.
- Challenge of the Year- I blogged about a few of the changes my family and I were going through. It had been a very challenging year for me and I am glad to be moving on to new challenges!
- Accomplishment of the Year- I helped lead the Church I was at through a merger with another congregation. It was a great experience in Leadership. Experiences like that have potential to go bad very fast. It was a difficult but satisfying experience when all was said and done!
- Lesson to carry into 2018- Keep the priorities in check. It did not take much to knock things around and I did not realize it was happening. Looking back I know I wasn’t taking care of myself, my wife, or my Children like I should. I also know I was not focusing on the other projects I was doing as well. I had to be taken back to see what was going on. I started 2018 by intentionally focusing on my priorities.